11 June 2014

Ride Around Lake Superior on a Motorcycle- You Will Love the Roads!

Motoressin
Vicki Gray Lake Superior

Last summer I spent nine glorious days riding a Triumph Street Triple R around the complete perimeter of the greatest of the Great Lakes - Superior. It was a brilliant experience – the combo of the bike’s performance, the roads, the wilderness – made me ever more fond of Ontario’s North. The incredible stunning freedoms we experience on these northern roads, on a motorcycle can only be best described by experiencing it yourself.  

If you’re thinking of a tour to do this summer- it’s really one that will leave you satisfied on so many levels.

Here’s my ride story…

"The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down of the big lake they called Gitche Gumeeeee..."! Helmet acoustics are fabulous I thought to myself, and continued to sing aloud Gordon Lightfoot's "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". Though a tragic tale of loss, I enjoyed its catchy melody. I lifted my toe in sync with the song's rhythm, tipping the Triumph into sixth gear and still further along the wood-lined road to its hilltop. I rode on past the parking lot and along the foot path to the monument's base. I turned off the bike, dismounted and walked toward the towering one-legged bronze man, runner Terry Fox. It was here, 18 miles from Thunder Bay in 1980, his Great Marathon of Hope ended. I walked over to the look-out deck, and to the panorama of Lake Superior and Thunder Bay. I could see from where I'd ridden and to where I'd ride.

SAULT STE. MARIE, ONTARIO TO KEWEENAW, HOUGHTON, MICHIGAN
This was the furthest North in Ontario I had ridden…

No comments: