11 February 2012

Sometimes You’ve Got to Turn Thinking Off To Turn Motorcycle Skills On.

It is not uncommon for us to think too much, and it seems to curse many of us more often than we’d like. Our thoughts and imaginings can be our own worst enemies - even when we’re trying to learn a new motorcycle operational skill!

One of my own
"over-thinking-it" experiences comes to mind during my first attempt at snow skiing. My excitement and impatience found me at the top of an advanced hill! I stood there for a very long time, starring down the hill and wondering  . . .how? How did I get way up here and how do I get down there? Finally I surrendered and pushed off! Though my form left much to be admired, I managed relatively well. It was super exhilarating inclusive the snowy cushioned fall! But I won’t forget those thoughts, the ones which kept me frozen in place - thinking about it too much!

When it comes to motorcycling, the same is true. We can prevent ourselves from moving forward by over-thinking what we’re doing. Of course, there's a difference between that and the good accumulation of thought (information) learnt/needed to create that second nature motorcycling mindset for success. With guidance and the good schooling of an officially recognized instructor, there’s little to distrust or question. And most motorcycle schools utilise methods of training evolved through the years which result in best practises. Personally, there’s nothing more thrilling for me than the success achieved in teaching someone a motorcycle operational skill which advances their riding experience!


That said, I had that very opportunity recently to assist a rider with a skill causing them challenges. It was push-steering. With further review of push-steerings' science, accompanied with a simple riding exercise; success resulted! The major factor(s) with mastering push-steering is in simplifying the mind (focus) and the exercise. It was super to receive her email filled with ecstatic enthusiasm in the joy of discovery! Being proficient in steering your motorcycle with push-steering is huge for rider confidence! (Yes, she had already graduated from a motorcycle safety course and went through the push-steering exercises but, like many, wasn’t quite grasping the technique.)

This also reminded me that we didn’t have a detailed article on MOTORESS about push-steering. That’s changed -  READ MORE

And here a note of appreciation for the terrific resource available to complete the MOTORESS push-steering article because all that physics can be just too much to think about!

No comments: